There are several reasons as to why an individual becomes resistant to insulin, and when he does, his cells won’t respond to the triggers raised by the insulin secreted by the pancreas to absorb the excess amount of glucose entering the blood stream after the digestion of carbohydrates. This in turn will cause the blood sugar levels to rise and may end up in giving him/her a type 2 diabetes. Let us first see if there are any symptoms associated with insulin resistance.
So far, as studies show, there are no specific signs or symptoms that will help one discover that their body is resistant to the hormone insulin.
Who are at the risk of getting this condition?
An individual’s body is bound to be resistant towards the insulin produced in their own body if he or she:
- Is an elderly person with age over 40 years
- Is an individual with his or her BMI (Body Mass Index) greater than 25 kg/me. That is, he or she is overweight
- Has family members with type 2 diabetes, arteriosclerosis or high blood pressure
- Is a woman with a waistline that is more than 35 inches or a man with waistline more than 40 inches.
- Did have gestational diabetes
- Had ancestors who were Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans or is of Latino de
- Has POS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
To check if you have insulin resistance, approach a medical professional for help. He can examine you based on the various risk factors. Also, a simple check of fasting sugar and insulin levels generally tend to identify if the person is suffering from resistance to insulin.
The various causes for this condition include:
- Obesity – there are seemingly a large number of cases in which an individual has developed resistance to insulin due to their body being overweight.
- A medical condiction called metabolic syndrome, in which the individual suffers from three main problems: high blood pressure, increased levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Resistance to insulin developed during pregnancy
- Stress and tension
- A serious illness or infection
- During steroid usage
- Lack of sleep
- Taking certain medication
There are several ways to overcome or prevent insulin resistance. These include a proper diet, more physical activity and workout, proper sleep, quitting smoking, medication, etc. Resistance to insulin can cause serious health issues like promote the development of type 2 diabetes. But by properly checking and keeping your health and life organized, you can mostly fight this condition off and get back to being your healthy self. It is always better to prevent rather than treat diabetes. So start to care for your body and mind today.
More from Health care
Cocaine is a stimulating and illegal drug that makes you feel euphoric for a short time. As a consequence, it …
The best facilities are provided by the qualified and caring staff at our treatment centre. You can start the recovery …